This blueberry compote that’s absolutely perfect for pancakes, crepes and cakes is one of my favorite recipes to make because it’s a great way to use up some extra fruit that you may have lying around. This way, nothing goes to waste and you end up with a fantastic addition to your homemade desserts.
How to Make a Blueberry Compote
Here’s how easy it is to make your very own blueberry compote completely from scratch:
- Prepare the blueberry mixture. Add either fresh or frozen blueberries, one cup of water, pure vanilla extract and sugar to a pot.
- Boil. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Prepare the cornstarch mixture. In a separate bowl, add the cornstarch and remaining ¼ cup of water and stir to combine.
- Add the cornstarch mixture. Add the cornstarch mixture to the blueberry mixture and stir to combine.
- Simmer. Simmer the compote on low heat until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Serve. You can serve the blueberry compote either warm or cold.
Add Your Blueberry Compote to These Recipes
Here are some of our top suggestions for tasty foods to pair with your homemade blueberry compote:
- Cream cheese pancakes
- Vanilla ice cream
- Belgian waffles
How to Store Blueberry Compote
Allow the blueberry compote to cool completely before transferring into a glass jar with a sealable lid. Seal the jar tightly and store the compote in the fridge for up to 5 to 7 days.
(Also like: Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes)Print
Blueberry Compote for Pancakes, Crepes and Cakes (Easy Blueberry Sauce)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the blueberries, 1 cup of water, vanilla extract and sugar to a pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl add the cornstarch and remaining water and stir to combine.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir to combine.
- Simmer on low heat until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Serve warm or cold.