Making gourmet looking upside down cakes doesn’t have to be difficult and this recipe for making a crave-worthy blueberry upside down cake is proof of that. You’ll start by preparing a yummy blueberry layer before prepping the deliciously fluffy cake layer. The result is nothing short of stunning and is perfect for serving at birthday parties or social gatherings.
How to Make Blueberry Upside Down Cake
You really won’t believe how easy it is to make this blueberry upside down cake from scratch with this recipe:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Prepare the blueberry mixture. Add the frozen blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Prepare the cake pan. Lightly grease a 9 inch cake pan with melted butter and then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Transfer the blueberry mixture. Transfer the blueberry mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake. Bake the blueberry mixture in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Cool. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Reduce the oven temperature. Reduce the oven temperature to 350℉.
- Prepare the flour mixture. Add the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Prepare the eggs. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining sugar.
- Add butter, lemon zest and sour cream. Add the remaining melted butter, lemon zest and sour cream and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour. Pour the batter over top of the blueberries.
- Bake. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Cool. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in a cake pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert. Cover the pan tightly with a serving dish and invert the cake so that the blueberry side is up.
- Cool. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
- Serve. Serve the blueberry upside down cake with whipped cream.
What is an Upside Down Cake?
An upside down cake typically refers to a style of baking a cake where the cake is actually baked “upside down” and then inverted to be “right side up” once it comes out of the oven (similar to some caramel pecan rolls or cinnamon rolls are made). They often include a layer of fruit at the bottom of the pan while they bake which ends up turning into the “topping”.
How to Make Blueberry Upside Down Cake Without Eggs
It’s possible to make this blueberry upside down cake without eggs if you have dietary preferences or restrictions that don’t allow you to eat eggs.
You can simply substitute approximately ¾ cup of yogurt for the 3 eggs that this recipe usually calls for. You can even use Greek yogurt if you’d like your cake to have a bit more protein as well.
If you’re looking for a blueberry cake without eggs, you can also make this pudding cake recipe.
How Long Does Blueberry Upside Down Cake Keep in the Refrigerator?
You can keep your blueberry upside down cake stored either in the fridge or at room temperature. It will typically only stay fresh for 2 days when stored at room temperature so it’s recommended to refrigerate the cake instead. When stored in the fridge, the upside down cake will keep for up to 3 to 4 days.
Crave-worthy Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 10 1x
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 20 ounces frozen blueberries
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cups sour cream
For decoration (optional):
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a bowl combine the blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Lightly grease 9 inch cake pan with melted butter.
- Line bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment paper.
- Transfer the mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake the blueberries in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl beat the eggs with remaining sugar.
- Add the remaining melted butter, lemon zest and sour cream and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter over the blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let the cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Cover the pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the blueberry side is up.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.