Today’s recipe is all about how to make the most amazing watermelon granita. This oh so addictive homemade granita recipe isn’t heavy at all and is the perfect low-calorie treat to enjoy when you’re craving for fresh and sweet.
How to Make Watermelon Granita
This is exactly how easy it is to make your own homemade watermelon granita with only 3 simple ingredients:
- Freeze. Place the watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze them for a minimum of one hour.
- Process. Add the frozen watermelon cubes, your choice of either simple syrup or honey, and lemon juice to a food processor and process until well combined.
- Freeze. Transfer to a shallow dish and freeze for an additional 3 hours; you’ll also want to make sure that you scrape around the sides of the dish and break into crystals with a fork every 30 minutes while freezing.
- Serve. Serve once the granita has set.
When to Serve a Watermelon Granita
Watermelon granita is best served as a refreshing frozen dessert. In Italy (where the granita originated), it’s most commonly enjoyed during the warmer summer months.
Tips for Making Watermelon Granita Ahead of Time
Most granita recipes can be made up to one week ahead of time, and this watermelon granita recipe is no exception. With that in mind, here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind when it comes to making granita ahead:
- Keep it covered. Keep your granita covered tightly with plastic wrap if you’ll be keeping it in the freezer for more than a few hours.
- Scrape before serving. While it’s recommended to scrape the sides of the dish every 30 minutes when initially freezing your granita, you should also scrape the sides once again before scooping the granita into a serving bowl.
- Consider using resealable food bags. It’s not a bad idea to use resealable food bags to flatten and store your granita in; this storage method is a fantastic way to save on freezer space.
(You may also like: Homemade Watermelon Jelly)Print
Refreshing (And Addictive) Watermelon Granita
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 pound watermelon cubes, seeds and rind discarded
- 2 tbsp simply syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place the watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for minimum one hour.
- Add the watermelon, simply syrup and lemon juice to a food processor and process until well combined.
- Transfer to a shallow dish and freeze for 3 hours, scraping around sides and breaking into crystals with a fork every 30 minute.