If you’ve been looking for a solid vegetarian burger recipe, then you need to try these oh so good watermelon burgers. The savory-sweet grilled watermelon flavor is just fantastic and unlike anything you’ve tried before.
How to Make Watermelon Burgers
Here’s everything that you’ll need to know in order to make these yummy watermelon burgers:
- Prep the watermelon. Cut the watermelon into ½ to 1-inch wide rounds.
- Remove the rind and seeds. Take 4 rounds and remove the rind and seeds from each.
- Cut. Cut the watermelon slices into squares.
- Prepare the oil mixture. Combine the olive oil and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Brush. Brush the watermelon squares with the prepared oil mixture.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the grill. Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Grill. Grill the watermelon burgers for 4 minutes per side.
- Add the cheese. Top the watermelon burgers with mozzarella cheese slices and cook until the cheese melts, about one minute.
- Serve. Serve on hamburger buns with lettuce and sliced red onion.
Is This Burger Recipe Vegetarian AND Vegan?
Unfortunately, since this recipe uses mozzarella cheese slices as a main ingredient, it’s not appropriate for vegan dieters.
However, it’s super easy to modify the recipe slightly in order to make it vegan-friendly. Simply swap out the mozzarella for a vegan-friendly cheese option made from something like cashews or soybeans instead.
3 Health Benefits of Going Vegetarian
If you’ve been on the fence about going vegetarian, then here are a few proven health benefits that might encourage you to finally give it a try:
- Heart healthy dieting. Studies have found that individuals who are vegetarian may be up to one-third less likely to die or be hospitalized from cardiovascular disease. (1)
- Lower risk of developing cancer. Vegetarians may be at a slightly lower risk of developing diseases like cancer according to one study of a low-risk population group. (2)
- May help to prevent type 2 diabetes. As many vegetarian diets are rich in low-glycemic index foods like legumes, nuts, and grains that help to keep blood glucose levels steady, it may help to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes. There is also mounting evidence that vegetarian diets can treat, and in some cases even reverse, type 2 diabetes as well. (3) (4)
3 Quick Tips for Cooking Vegetarian Meals
Here are a few of our top tips for cooking the best vegetarian meals; hopefully they can help you to up your cooking game as well:
- Spice it up. Don’t be afraid to experiment when it comes to adding a little bit of spice to your vegetarian meals – or a lot.
- Make it colorful. Unlike meat dishes, vegetarian meals can provide a wealth of colors that can inspire you to make some truly impressive dishes. As an added bonus, those colorful options are also often some of the most nutrient-dense foods out there.
- Don’t shy away from dietary fat. Vegetarians have so many fantastic options for healthy sources of dietary fat to choose from. Make sure that you’re including plenty of avocados, coconut oil, and olive oil as part of your diet!
(You may also like: Thick Cut Tomato Sandwich with Homemade Garlic Mayo)Print
Oh So Good Watermelon Burgers (Vegetarian Burger Recipe)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 small watermelon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 4 ounces mozzarella, sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- hamburger buns
- red onion, sliced
- Cut the watermelon into 1/2 to 1-inch wide rounds.
- Take 4 rounds and remove the rind and seeds from each.
- Cut the watermelon slices into squares.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil and onion powder.
- Brush the watermelon squares with oil mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Grill the watermelon burgers for 4 minutes per side.
- Top with cheese and cook just until the cheese melts, about a minute.
- Serve on buns with onion slices and lettuce.