Cheesy Summer Tomato Pie with a Crispy (And Not Soggy) Crust
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed plus extra for greasing
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 tbsp yellow cornmeal
For the filling:
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 1 pound ripe tomato, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
- To make the crust, add the all-purpose flour, shredded Cheddar cheese, salt, butter and water to a food processor and process until soft dough forms.
- Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate for minimum one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 10-inch pie dish and set aside.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour.
- Roll the dough until ¼ inch thick.
- Gently wrap the dough around a floured rolling pin and unroll onto the prepared pie dish.
- Prick with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- To make the filling, add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Top with sliced tomatoes.
- Brush the tomatoes with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Decorate with fresh basil leaves and serve.