Wondering what to do with your freshly made sun dried tomatoes or leftover sun dried tomatoes from a recipe? Put them to good use by making this ridiculously creamy and crave-worthy homemade chicken alfredo pasta.
How to Make Alfredo Pasta
- Make your own sun dried tomatoes. We have a recipe on the site that can teach you how to make your own sun dried tomatoes. Don’t worry, it’s very easy!
- Season the chicken. Season the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste before brushing with olive oil.
- Grill the chicken. Grill the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta.
- Make the sauce. Saute your garlic in some butter and cook for 30 seconds before adding the flour and tomato paste. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes and then add in full fat milk and sun dried tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes while whisking everything constantly.
- Add cream cheese. Stir in the cream cheese, along with Parmesan cheese. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or long enough for the cheese to melt. Add more milk if you find the sauce is too thick.
- Season. Stir in chopped parsley and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta and toss to coat. Top with the grilled chicken and serve!
Top 3 Tips for Making the Best Grilled Chicken Breasts
There are a few things you can do to make sure that your grilled chicken is the very best it can be. Here are my top 3 tips for making the best grilled chicken breasts:
- Don’t be afraid to brine your chicken. You can make your own homemade brine mixture easily enough. Brining helps to keep the chicken from overcooking on the grill while also locking in moisture as it cooks, resulting in deliciously juicy grilled chicken.
- Nail the cooking time. Pay close attention to your cooking times and make sure that you don’t overcook the chicken. Aim for an average of 5 to 6 minutes of cooking per side, depending on the size of the chicken breast.
- Give your chicken a few minutes to sit after cooking. This gives time for the juices in the chicken to settle.
How Long Does Homemade Alfredo Pasta Keep For?
When properly stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator, this homemade alfredo pasta will last in the fridge for about 5 days. Any longer than that and the cooked ingredients in your alfredo sauce will begin to spoil.
Can You Freeze Alfredo Sauce?
Since alfredo sauce tends to spoil in the refrigerator, you can always freeze your sauce in order to get it to last longer. Simply seal it up in an airtight freezer safe container and it will keep for up to 6 months when frozen.
(You may also like: Oven Sun Dried Tomatoes Using Cherry Tomatoes)Print
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Alfredo Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 ¾ cups full fat milk
- 3 oz cream cheese, cubed
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ½ cup dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Season the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Brush with olive oil.
- Heat the grill pan over medium high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain well.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and dried tomatoes and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and Parmesan and cook for 1-2 minutes or until melted.
- If the sauce is too thick, add more milk as needed.
- Stir in chopped parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the pasta and toss to coat.
- Top with grilled chicken and serve.