Making the perfect omelette is definitely something of an art form, but this recipe will teach you how to master this breakfast staple. The recipe makes a 5-ingredient spinach omelette that’s easy to make, low carb and oh so healthy–a perfect way to start the day, indeed.
How to Make Spinach Omelettes
Here’s exactly what you’ll need to do in order to make the perfect 5-ingredient spinach omelette:
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shallot. Add the minced shallot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cook the spinach. Add the chopped fresh spinach and cook until wilted and all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Set aside. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Separate the eggs and put the whites into a medium bowl and the yolks into a small bowl.
- Beat the egg whites. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until stiff peaks form (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Set aside. Set the egg whites aside.
- Season the yolks. Season the egg yolks with salt and black pepper to taste and mix well.
- Fold. Fold the egg yolks into the egg white mixture.
- Prep the cooking skillet again. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium low heat.
- Cook the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes (or until the bottom is set and golden).
- Add the toppings. Top with the prepared spinach mixture and sprinkle with finely grated parmesan cheese.
- Cook. Cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes (or until the cheese has melted).
- Fold. Fold the omelet in half.
- Serve. Transfer the omelette to a plate and serve.
Do I Need to Use Organic Eggs?
When making any type of omelette, it’s important to use the best quality of egg available to you. Farm fresh eggs are preferred because the yolks are slightly richer than normal, however even just regular eggs would be perfectly fine for this recipe.
3 Tips for Making Perfect Homemade Omelettes
Along with following the right recipe, here are 3 other tips for making homemade omelettes to help make sure that they’re turning out perfectly each and every time:
- Choose your pan wiseley. Making the perfect omelette all starts with choosing the right type of pan. For best results, stick with a small non-stick pan.
- Cook at the ideal temperature. Stick with cooking your omelette over medium low to medium heat. This will ensure a more even distribution of heat as the eggs cook.
- Eggs matter. Use room temperature eggs when making omelettes and be sure to beat them properly; it should only take a few minutes to beat the egg wites until stiff peaks form. Finally, take your time when folding the seasoned egg yolks back into the beaten egg whites.
Can I Make Spinach Omelettes Ahead?
Yes, you can easily make this 5-ingredient spinach omelette ahead of time. Simply follow the recipe as normal and then allow the omelettes to cool completely.
Transfer into an airtight container and you can keep the omelette stored in either the fridge or the freezer until you’re ready to reheat. These spinach omelettes will keep for up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge or for up to 3 months when frozen.
The best way to reheat a frozen omelette is to leave it in the fridge overnight and then heat one tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the omelette and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side (or until heated through).
(Also try: Homemade Greek Spinach Pie)Print
5-Ingredient Spinach Omelette (Easy, Low Carb and Healthy)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ small shallot, minced
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsps finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is witted and all the liquid is evaporated.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Separate the eggs and put the whites into a medium bowl and the yolks in the small bowl.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Season the egg yolks with salt and black pepper to taste and mix well.
- Fold the egg yolks into egg whites mixture.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium low heat.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until the bottom is set, and golden.
- Top with spinach mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Fold the omelet in half.
- Transfer the omelet to a plate and serve.