I used to get fairly intimidated by the idea of baking my own lasagna, but this homemade spinach lasagna recipe is so simple, I couldn’t resist. This beginner-friendly recipe features an amazing filling composed of cream cheese, ricotta cheese, spinach and more, with an amazing white sauce to tie everything together. Yum!
How to Make Homemade Spinach Lasagna
Making your own homemade spinach lasagna is an absolute breeze thanks to this easy to follow recipe:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Begin preparing the lasagna filling. Add the softened cream cheese, ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Set aside. Set the lasagna filling aside for now.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Add the butter to the skillet.
- Add the flour. Add the all-purpose flour and stir to combine.
- Add the stock and cream. Add the chicken stock and heavy cream and whisk to combine.
- Remove from the heat. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Prepare the baking dish. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread the sauce. Spread ⅕ of the white sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange the lasagna sheets. Arrange 3 lasagna sheets over the sauce.
- Spread the spinach mixture. Spread ⅓ of the spinach mixture over top of the lasagna sheets.
- Add more white sauce. Top with ⅕ of the white sauce.
- Repeat. Repeat this process until you have three layers and have used up all of the ingredients.
- Finish it off. Spread the remaining white sauce over the top layer of noodles and sprinkle with the shredded gruyere and grated parmesan.
- Bake. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Uncover the lasagna. Uncover and bake the lasagna for an additional 10 minutes (or until bubbly).
- Let stand. Remove the lasagna from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Serve. Serve the lasagna with your favorite sides.
2 Quick Tips for Making Homemade Spinach Lasagna
Here are 2 quick tips to keep in mind when making homemade spinach lasagna recipes like this one:
- Take your time with the layers. It’s admittedly a bit of a time consuming process to arrange the layers of lasagna sheets, spinach filling and sauce. It’s essential to do this correctly though or else your lasagna won’t turn out properly.
- Shield the lasagna at first. For the first 20 to 25 minutes of cooking time, keep the lasagna covered with aluminum foil and then remove it before baking the lasagna for an additional 10 minutes or so.
How to Freeze Leftover Spinach Lasagna (+How to Reheat)
If you end up with leftovers of this spinach lasagna, you can easily freeze them to enjoy later. Just make sure that you allow the lasagna to cool completely before you do so.
Wrap the lasagna with both plastic wrap and aluminum foil (or transfer it into a freezer-safe airtight container) and label it with todays date. Freeze the lasagna for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to reheat the lasagna, take it out of the freezer and thaw it out in the fridge overnight. Then bring the lasagna to room temperature before baking in the oven at 375℉ until heated through.
(Also try: Eggplant Lasagna)Print
Homemade Spinach Lasagna (Easy and So, So Good!)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For the lasagna:
- 12 uncooked lasagna sheets
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ pounds frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the toping:
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- To make the filling, add the cream cheese, ricotta, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan and Italian seasoning to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Set aside.
- Add the butter to a large skillet.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Add the stock and heavy cream and whisk to combine.
- Remove from the heat.
- Lightly grease 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread 1/5 of white sauce onto bottom of the prepared pan.
- Arrange 3 lasagna sheets over the sauce.
- Spread 1/3 spinach mixture over the sheets.
- Top with1/5 of white sauce.
- Again, arrange 3 lasagne noodles over the sauce.
- Top the noodles with 1/3 of spinach mixture.
- Top with1/5 of white sauce.
- Repeat until you have three layers and have used up all the ingredients.
- Spread the remaining white sauce over the top layer of noodles and sprinkle with the Gruyere and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.