In the mood to try something new? This recipe will show you how to make an excellent homemade Greek spinach pie from scratch with phyllo sheets and a spectacular spinach, garlic and cheese filling. It’s incredibly soft and tasty in the center, with the phyllo sheets soaking up all of the delicious Greek flavors in your filling.
How to Make Homemade Greek Spinach Pie
Follow these simple recipe instructions to have this yummy homemade Greek spinach pie ready to go in less than an hour:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Prepare the spinach mixture. Add the chopped spinach, chopped green onions, minced garlic cloves, lightly beaten eggs, chopped fresh parsley, crumbled feta cheese, ricotta cheese, olive oil and dried dill weed to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Season. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the baking dish. Brush a 9×13 inch baking dish with extra olive oil.
- Line the baking dish with phyllo. Line the baking dish with two sheets of phyllo.
- Brush. Brush the phyllo sheets with extra olive oil.
- Add more phyllo. Add two more sheets of phyllo and brush them with extra olive oil.
- Repeat. Repeat this process until two-thirds of the phyllo is used up.
- Spread the spinach mixture. Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the phyllo crust.
- Add phyllo again. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets and brush with extra olive oil.
- Repeat. Continue to layer the phyllo sheets, two-at-a-time, brushing with extra olive oil, until you have used up all of the sheets.
- Seal the filling. Tuck any overhanging sheets into the pan to seal the filling.
- Brush. Brush with extra olive oil.
- Score the dough. Use a knife to lightly score the top layer of dough into squares.
- Bake. Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Serve. Serve the pie warm.
2 Quick Tips for Making Homemade Spanakopita
Here are 2 quick and easy to remember tips to keep in mind whenever you’re making your own homemade spanakopita:
- Pay attention to the spinach. You can honestly use either fresh or frozen spinach when making spanakopita. But whatever option you pick, just make sure that you thoroughly thaw (if necessary) and drain the spinach so that it’s as dry as possible before making pastry recipes like spanakopita.
- Experiment with the pie filling. Feel free to play around with the spinach filling ingredients a little bit when making homemade spanakopita. Leeks and different types of onions are a good starting point for branching out.
How to Store Homemade Greek Spinach Pie
Allow the Greek spinach pie to cool completely before transferring into a shallow airtight container. Seal the container up tightly and you can store the spanakopita in the fridge for up to 2 to 3 days.
Alternatively, you can also freeze the pie like this for up to 3 months.
(Also try: Freezable Spinach Quiche Lorraine)Print
Homemade Greek Spinach Pie (Spanakopita)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- 1 package (16 oz) phyllo sheets, thawed
- 16 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 10 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- ½ cup ricotta cheese,
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Add the spinach, green onions, garlic, eggs, parsley, feta, ricotta, olive oil and dill to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Brush 9×13 inch baking dish with extra olive oil.
- Line the baking dish with two sheets of phyllo.
- Brush with extra olive oil.
- Add two more sheets and brush them with extra olive oil.
- Repeat until two-thirds of the phyllo is used up.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the phyllo crust.
- Top with two more sheets, and brush with extra olive oil.
- Continue to layer the phyllo sheets, two-at-a-time, brushing with extra olive oil, until you have used up all the sheets.
- Tuck overhanging sheets into pan to seal filling.
- Brush with extra olive oil.
- Using a knife, lightly score top layer of dough into squares.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.