There are countless ways to cook with spinach but this recipe for making an incredibly easy sauteed spinach with garlic and lemon just might be one of the best. It’s super easy to follow and ends up making a spinach dish that’s absolutely bursting with garlic and lemon flavor and packs a ton of nutrients per serving.
How to Make Sauteed Spinach with Garlic and Lemon
This recipe will show you exactly what you need to do to make this incredibly flavorful spinach dish:
- Melt the butter. Melt the unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic. Add the olive oil and minced garlic cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Cook the spinach. Add the fresh spinach and cover with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir. Remove the lid and stir the spinach.
- Cook. Cook for an additional one or two more minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Toss. Add the lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Serve. Serve the spinach warm.
What to Serve with Sauteed Spinach
This sauteed spinach dish is good enough to be enjoyed on its own but it’s even better when you pair it with one of the following suggested options:
- Seafood (especially broiled salmon!)
- Meat (chicken, beef, pork, etc.)
- Pasta recipes (chicken piccata, etc.)
Can I Freeze Sauteed Spinach?
Yes, you can freeze this sauteed spinach dish. Just keep in mind that freezing spinach causes the leaves to lose much of their texture once you thaw them out; it still works great for making smoothies though!
Before freezing, you’ll first need to let the spinach cool off completely and then transfer into sealable freezer bags. Seal the bags up tightly and store in the freezer for up to 10 to 12 months.
(Also try: Sauteed Green Bean Almondine)Print
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic and Lemon
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid.
- Stir the spinach and cook for one or two more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Serve warm.