Really Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Fresh Pineapple
For the pineapple layer:
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, sliced and cored
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- maraschino cherries
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- To make the pineapple layer, add the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium low heat until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the mixture over the base of a 9 inch cake pan.
- Arrange the pineapple slices and cherries on top of brown sugar mixture.
- Halve 4 pineapple slices and arrange them around the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate the pan while you make the cake.
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter.
- Add the sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add the milk and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix to combine.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold in the egg whites, working in batches. Do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Cover pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.