This recipe will teach you how to make the most amazing homemade pineapple crisp, complete with a brown sugar streusel topping. It’s definitely not your typical crisp recipe, as the pineapple chunks add a delightful tropical twist to this classic comfort dessert.
How to Make Homemade Pineapple Crisp
This homemade pineapple crisp is so easy to make and it’s truly the ultimate comfort food.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Prepare the filling. Add the pineapple chunks, brown sugar, lemon zest and cornstarch to a bowl and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Add the filling mixture to a lightly greased baking dish.
- Prepare the topping. Add the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the butter. Add the cold butter and mix with a fork until the mixture begins to resemble coarse crumbs.
- Spoon the topping. Spoon the topping over top of the pineapple filling.
- Bake. Bake the crisp in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes (or until golden).
- Serve. The pineapple crisp can either be served warm, cold, or at room temperature.
(Also try: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp)
How to Core and Peel a Pineapple
Not sure how to properly core and peel a pineapple? Here’s a quick and easy how-to:
- Cut off the ends. Use a large, sharp knife to cut off the top and bottom ends of the pineapple. When done, stand the pineapple upright on one end to allow the juices to permeate throughout.
- Peel the pineapple. Rotate the pineapple as you shave off the peel.
- Remove the eyes. Use the tip of the knife to make angled cuts to remove the eyes within the flesh of the pineapple.
- Core the pineapple. Cut the pineapple lengthwise into quarters and then remove the core from each quarter.
Can I Use Other Fruits with This Recipe?
If you would rather swap out the pineapple for a different kind of fruit when making this recipe, that’s okay. Here are some suggestions for replacements to try:
- Apples (the classic)
- Berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
- Bananas (yes, really!)
(Also try: Pineapple Casserole)Print
Homemade Pineapple Crisp (Easy and Comforting)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For the filling:
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- zest of one lemon
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose/plain flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Add the pineapple, sugar, lemon zest and cornstarch to a bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the mixture to lightly greased baking dish.
- Add the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, pinch of salt, ground cinnamon to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the butter and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spoon the topping over the pineapple mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minute or until golden.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.