If you enjoy homemade fruit casseroles, then you absolutely must try this obsession-worthy pineapple casserole. It features a DIY topping made with buttery crackers and panko breadcrumbs that is simply to die for, along with a wonderfully molten cheesy center. Yum!
How to Make a Pineapple Casserole
You’ll first need to prepare the casserole itself before making an out of this world good homemade topping as well:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Prepare the baking dish. Lightly grease an 8×10 inch baking dish.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the crushed pineapple, pineapple chunks, honey, all-purpose flour, and 4 oz of grated Cheddar cheese to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add to the baking dish. Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Sprinkle. Sprinkle the remaining 2 oz of Cheddar cheese over top.
- Prepare the topping. Add the crushed buttery crackers, panko breadcrumbs, melted butter and 2 tbsp of pineapple juice (reserved from the pineapple chunks) to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the casserole.
- Bake. Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes (or until golden and bubbly).
Can I Freeze Pineapple Casserole?
You can easily freeze this pineapple casserole. You’ll first need to allow the casserole to cool off completely after baking. Transfer into a freezer-safe airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 to 4 months.
Just be aware that your casserole will most likely have a rather different texture once you reheat it; the crackers and breadcrumbs used in the topping can end up a bit soggy.
Another option is to store your leftover casserole in the fridge in airtight containers for up to 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat Pineapple Casserole
It’s highly recommended to allow your frozen pineapple casserole to thaw out in the fridge overnight. You can then put the casserole back in the oven at 350℉ until it’s heated through.
(You may also like: Pineapple Upside Down Cake)Print
Obsession-worthy Pineapple Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- 1 (20 oz)) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained (reserve 2 tbsp of juice)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 oz grated Cheddar cheese
For the topping:
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup buttery crackers, crashed
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease an 8×10 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl combine crushed pineapple, pineapple chunks, honey, flour and 2/3 of grated cheddar cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth surface with spatula.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- To make the topping, add crushed crackers, panko breadcrumbs, melted butter and reserved pineapple juice to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden and bubbly.