Crave-worthy Pickled Watermelon Rind
- 2 pounds watermelon rind
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- 1 star anise pod
- Using a metal spoon, scrape the rind to remove all traces of pink.
- Using a sharp peeler, remove and discard the exterior green portion of the rind.
- Cut the rind into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the water, sugar, apple cider vinegar, ginger, salt, red pepper flakes, allspice berries and star anise to a pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook for one minute.
- Add the watermelon rind and return to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a glass jars and keep sealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.