I had one of the best salads of my life before when I visited Tokyo a couple of years ago. And while I obviously can’t travel to Japan on a regular basis, I can still enjoy this crave-worthy Japanese cucumber salad recipe.
How to Make Thin Shaved Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Prepare the vegetables. Cut the cucumber into thinly shaved ribbons. Mince the garlic clove. Grate the ginger (if necessary). Cut the scallions into thin slices.
- Combine the ingredients. Combine the rice vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger in a bowl.
- Add the vegetables. Add the thin shaved cucumber into a separate bowl and then add in the vinegar mixture. Toss to combine.
- Finish it off. Sprinkle the salad with sesame seeds and sliced scallions before serving.
Can I Use Regular Vinegar Instead of Rice Vinegar?
You can easily replace the rice vinegar with your vinegar of choice and add a dash of honey or your choice of sweetener. You can swap it out at a 1:1 ratio, meaning you can simply follow the exact instructions in the recipe.
I highly recommend apple cider vinegar as a replacement for rice vinegar if you’re not sure about what to use. It works equally as well and has the added benefit of providing the salad with a delightful hint of apple flavoring.
There’s even evidence that apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss and improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels. (1)
Can I Make Japanese Cucumber Salad Ahead?
Yes, you certainly can. Just make sure to keep it stored in an airtight container or keep it otherwise covered and the salad will last for a few days in the fridge. As a matter of fact, I find that it has an improved taste and it’s slightly more crispy after being in the refrigerator for at least one day.
(You may also like: Creamy Dill Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream and Fresh Baby Dill)Print
Thin Shaved Japanese Cucumber Salad with Soy, Vinegar and Sesame Seeds
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound cucumbers, thinly shaved
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 –3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Combine the vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Add the cucumber and vinegar mixture to a bowl and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.
- Serve immediately.
3 More Great Cucumber Recipes To Enjoy
As great as this Japanese cucumber salad recipe is, there are still so many other fantastic ways to use your own garden fresh cucumber in the kitchen. Here are three more cucumber recipes for you to try next.
- Crave-worthy Cold Cucumber Soup with Dill, Garlic and Yogurt – An oh so flavorful cold soup recipe that’s packed with flavors and textures.
- Ginger Cucumber Juice Lemonade (Refreshing and Revitalizing!) – This homemade lemonade recipe is both incredibly refreshing and good for your health.
- Tangy Onion Vinegar Cucumber Salad (So Easy and Refrigerates Well!) – This makes a cucumber salad recipe that’s quick and easy to make for when you need to whip up a healthy lunch in a hurry.