I have a lot of experience working with fresh fruit, and over the years I’ve figured out that there are at least 2 easy ways to peel peaches with as little waste as possible. One method simply involves using a vegetable peeler, while the other blanching method is a little bit more involved but works ever so slightly better.
How to Peel Peaches
The first method to use when peeling peaches is to simply use a vegetable peeler:
- Properly clean the peach. Wash the peach thoroughly.
- Peel. Take a sharp vegetable peeler and make wide strokes from the top to the bottom of the peach to remove the skin.
Alternatively, you can also peel peaches by boiling them; here’s how:
- Properly clean the peaches. Wash the peaches thoroughly.
- Mark the peaches. Lightly score the bottom of each peach with an ‘X’ before blanching.
- Boil. Boil a large pot of water.
- Cook. Carefully add 3 to 4 peaches to the pot and cook them for approximately 30 seconds.
- Cool. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peaches from the pot into a bowl full of ice water to cool.
- Remove the skin. Remove the skin with a paring knife.
Add Peaches to These Recipes
If you have a fresh harvest of more peaches than you know what to do with on hand, here are some of our top suggestions for recipe ideas to make with them:
- Fruit platters
- Serve with ice cream
- Jams and jellies
- Grilled peaches
- Fruit salads
How Long Will Fresh Peaches Keep in the Refrigerator?
Fresh peaches that have been peeled and sliced will typically keep in the fridge for between 5 to 7 days. With that in mind, they’re best enjoyed between 3 to 5 days for maximum freshness.
You’ll just want to make sure that you’re keeping your peaches properly stored in the fridge, using either an airtight container or by tightly wrapping them and storing them in a ziplock bag.
(Also learn: How to Freeze Peaches)Print
2 Easy Ways to Peel Peaches With As Little Waste As Possible
How to Peel Peaches with a Vegetable Peeler:
- Wash the peach thoroughly.
- Take a sharp vegetable peeler.
- Make wide strokes from top to the bottom of the peach to remove the skin.
How to Peel Peaches By Boiling Them:
- Wash the peaches thoroughly.
- Lightly score the bottom of each peach with an X before blanching.
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Carefully add the 3-4 peaches to the pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peaches from the pot, into a bowl full of ice water to cool.
- Remove the skin with a paring knife.