When we’re looking for a simple lunch or dinner option, one of our go-to options is grilled pineapple steaks. This sweet and savory recipe is made with a homemade mixture of honey and brown sugar to give it that nice, charred effect when grilled. The result is simply to die for.
How to Make Grilled and Caramelized Pineapple Steaks
Follow these easy instructions to prepare the pineapple coating mixture before grilling your pineapple slices to perfection:
- Prepare the coating mixture. Add the brown sugar, honey and hot water to a small bowl and mix until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Transfer to a bag. Add the brown sugar mixture and pineapple slices to a ziploc bag.
- Shake the bag. Shake the bag until the pineapple slices are evenly coated.
- Wait. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the grill. Preheat the grill on high.
- Grill. Place the pineapple slices on the grill and grill each side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve. Serve the pineapple steaks immediately.
How to Peel and Slice a Pineapple
Here’s everything that you’ll need to do in order to prep your pineapple to make this pineapple steak recipe:
- Cut off the top. Use a large, sharp knife to cut off the top of the pineapple.
- Rest. Turn the pineapple upside down and allow it to rest for approximately 30 minutes; this will help the juices within the pineapple to distribute evenly.
- Cut off the bottom. After resting the pineapple, cut off the bottom end.
- Peel the skin. Slice the skin off by following the shape of the pineapple.
- Remove the core. Slice the pineapple in half length-wise and then slice each resulting piece in half length-wise once more. Use a knife to remove the core by cutting it out at an angle.
- Cut into grilling slices. With the core removed, slice each pineapple quarter in half length-wise one final time before then slicing in the opposite direction to create perfect grilling-sized pineapple slices.
Can I Store These Pineapple Steaks for Later?
You’ll be able to keep your pineapple steaks stored in the fridge for up to 3 to 5 days as long as it’s properly stored in an airtight container and sealed up tightly.
While it’s possible to freeze grilled pineapple, it’s not recommended as it can end up having a negative effect on the texture.
Grilled (And Caramelized) Pineapple Steaks
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 11 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled and sliced into ½ inch thick slices
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp hot water
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, honey and hot water and mix until completely dissolved.
- Add the mixture and pineapple slices to a Ziplock bag.
- Shake the bag until the pineapple is evenly coated.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Place the pineapple slices on the grill and grill each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.