Green beans are hugely underrated when it comes to making salads that are both tasty and satiating. Here’s my go to recipe for making a tangy green bean salad with an out of this world homemade Italian dressing.
How to Make a Tangy Green Bean Salad
- Prepare the veggies. Trim the fresh green beans. Mince the garlic cloves. Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Boil the water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a single teaspoon of salt.
- Cook the beans. Add the green beans and cook for 5-6 minutes or until just tender.
- Transfer to a bowl with ice water. Let it cool down for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain. Thoroughly drain the green beans in a colander.
- Combine. Combine the green beans with the cherry tomato halves in a bowl.
- Toss. Pour the homemade Italian dressing over top of the green beans and cherry tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How to Make Homemade Italian Dressing
While your green beans are cooking, you can quickly whip up the homemade Italian dressing by following these steps:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and Italian seasoning to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Coat. Pour the dressing mixture over top of the green beans and cherry tomatoes as per the recipe instructions above.
What Else Can I Pair with This Homemade Italian Dressing?
You might just be surprised at how many other uses you can find for your homemade Italian dressing. Here are just a few of my favorite things to pair with this dressing:
- As a spread on sandwiches and burgers.
- As a marinade for steak and chicken.
- As a dip for grilled meats and veggies.
How Long Will This Green Bean Salad Keep in the Fridge?
You can reasonably expect your green bean salad to last for between 3-5 days as long as you’re storing it properly in the fridge. By properly, I mean keeping the salad sealed in airtight containers or wrapped tightly in either plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
However, unlike many salads made with leafy greens, you can actually freeze your green bean salad to dramatically increase its shelf life. Frozen green bean salad will keep for 10-12 months, making it an ideal choice for making in bulk.
Tangy Green Bean Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add 1 pound of green beans and cook for 5-6 minutes or until just tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the green beans to a large bowl with ice water.
- Let them cool for 4 minutes.
- Thoroughly drain the beans in a colander.
- In a bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, red vine vinegar and Italian seasoning.
- Pour the olive oil mixture over the green beans and cherry tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve.