Mosquito season is tricky to navigate, especially with little ones in the family. With that in mind, why not save yourself a few dollars on bug spray by making this DIY 4-ingredient garlic mosquito spray? It’s super easy to make and it works amazingly well. Plus points for being all-natural, too!
How to Make Garlic Mosquito Spray
You can quickly and easily whip up your own homemade mosquito repellant in only 10 minutes thanks to this simple recipe:
- Combine the garlic and oil. Add the minced garlic cloves and your choice of either avocado or light olive oil to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Allow to rest. Allow the garlic and oil mixture to rest for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Strain. Strain the oil through a cheesecloth.
- Prepare the mosquito repellent. Add 2 cups of water, lemon juice and the garlic infused oil to a large measure cup and mix to combine.
- Transfer to spray bottle. Add the mixture to a spray bottle.
- Shake. Be sure to shake the garlic mosquito spray before each use.
2 Benefits of Using a Garlic Mosquito Spray vs. Commercial Brands
Not only is it highly effective, but making your own garlic mosquito repellent also offers up a couple of pretty impressive benefits:
- Cost effective. Making your own homemade mosquito spray can be far more cost effective over the long run than purchasing commercial brands of repellent.
- Made with 100% natural ingredients. There are no harmful chemical ingredients anywhere to be found in this bug spray recipe. This definitely gives parents in particular a bit of extra peace of mind as there’s no need to worry about smaller children inhaling harmful chemicals.
How Long Will This Garlic Mosquito Spray Be Effective
This homemade garlic mosquito spray is incredibly effective not just as a mosquito repellent, but as a repellent to keep away just about all kinds of insects and creepy-crawlies. The reason behind it’s effectiveness is that garlic is flat out toxic to mosquitoes when ingested.
With that in mind, you can reasonably expect your homemade spray to remain effective for a full 24 hours after just one single application.
How to Store Garlic Mosquito Spray
You’ll want to keep your homemade garlic mosquito spray stored in a cool, dark location like a kitchen pantry. Just remember to shake well before each use.
(Also try: Lavender Pillow Spray for Sleep)Print
DIY Garlic Mosquito Spray
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp avocado or light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a small bowl combine the oil and garlic.
- Allow to rest for minimum 24 hours.
- Strain the oil through a cheesecloth.
- In a large measuring add the water, lemon juice and garlic infused oil.
- Mix to combine.
- Add the mixture to a spray bottle.
- Shake before use.