This recipe for making fluffy garlic breadsticks from scratch is truly to die for. They’re so good, they’re in a class of their own and can truly transform any meal. The homemade garlic butter is just spectacular.
How to Make Fluffy Garlic Breadsticks
These homemade breadsticks turn out delightfully fluffy on their own but they’re so much better once you combine them with this delicious homemade garlic butter:
- Prepare the yeast mixture. Use the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook to combine the water, yeast and granulated sugar.
- Wait. Allow the yeast mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the flour mixture. Use a separate bowl to combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Prep the butter. Add the melted butter to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the flour mixture. While the mixer is running, slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Beat. Beat on low speed for 5 minutes.
- Prepare a bowl. Lightly grease a large bowl with extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer the dough. Transfer the dough into the lightly greased bowl.
- Rise. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it to rise in a warm place for one hour (or until it has doubled in size).
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Prepare a baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the dough for baking. Punch the dough and then transfer to a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and then roll each piece into a 7 inch long rope.
- Rise. Transfer the breadsticks to the prepared baking sheet and allow them to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake. Bake the breadsticks in the preheated oven for 12 minutes (or until golden).
- Prepare the garlic butter. While the breadsticks are baking, use a small bowl to combine the melted butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Brush. Remove the breadsticks from the oven and brush with the homemade garlic butter.
- Serve. Serve warm.
3 Useful Tips for Making the Best Homemade Bread
If you’ve been struggling to get your homemade bread recipes to turn out just right, then try out the following quick tips; hopefully they help to make sure that you’re making perfect bread each and every time:
- Don’t rush the yeast. It’s so important that you allow your yeast mixture the proper amount of time to rise. As the yeast expands, it will trap more gas, which will in turn cause your bread to turn out nice and fluffy.
- Nail the measurements. When making either homemade bread or breadsticks, make sure that you’re using exact ingredient measurements. Even being slightly off with something like the water or yeast content can dramatically impact the final result.
- Consider switching up the flour. Extra-strength flour mixtures can be quite helpful as you’re first learning to make homemade bread because it’s naturally higher in gluten, which in turn will help the bread to rise better.
How to Store Homemade Breadsticks
The first thing that you’ll want to do with any kind of homemade bread is to allow it to cool completely once it comes out of the oven.
Once cooled, you can then transfer the bread into a plastic storage bag or a breadbox. Keep your homemade bread stored like this at room temperature and it can last for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze homemade bread (and breadsticks) for up to 8 to 9 months. Just keep in mind that breadsticks won’t be as soft and fluffy once you thaw them out; I usually like to reheat them in a toaster oven to get the best texture.
(Also try: Quick and Easy Garlic Cheese Bread Sticks)Print
Buttery Garlic Breadsticks
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
For the breadsticks:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- In a bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook combine the water, yeast and sugar.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl combine the flour and salt.
- Add the melted butter to the bowl of stand mixer.
- While the mixer is running, add the flour mixture slowly.
- Beat on low speed for 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil.
- Transfer the dough into the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch the dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 7 inch long rope.
- Transfer the breadsticks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes, or until golden.
- In a small bowl combine the butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Remove from the oven and brush the breadsticks with garlic butter.
- Serve warm.