One of my favorite things to do with freshly picked green tomatoes from my garden is to throw them in the oven along with a few other tasty ingredients. They are best enjoyed warm with my homemade avocado garlic aioli (or this 2-minute garlic aioli). Here’s the exact recipe that I follow whenever I make this little treat.
If you’re looking for something a little healthier, try these pickled green tomatoes! They are incredible by themselves, in a salad, on bread or as a side for a heavier dish.
How to Make Oven Baked Green Tomatoes
- Slice the tomatoes. Make sure that you’re using green tomatoes when making the recipe. Slice them into pieces that are about ½-inch thick.
- Season. Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the coating. Add flour and cayenne pepper into one bowl and combine. Put the buttermilk in a separate bowl and set aside. Finally, add panko breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Dip the tomatoes in coating. Start by coating tomato slices in the flour mixture and then dip them into the buttermilk. Next, coat them with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4 Tips for Even Coating Every Time
In order to make sure that I end up with evenly coated tomato slices every time, I just follow these simple tips:
- Make sure that you’ve thoroughly coated your green tomato slices in flour. This helps to lock in moisture and protect the tomatoes from the high cooking temperatures.
- Dip every side of your tomato slice in the buttermilk. You don’t want to miss a spot, otherwise the whole coating might come off.
- Try to maintain a neat workspace. To avoid making more of a mess, I usually keep one hand reserved for coating the tomatoes in the flour and use the other one for dipping in the buttermilk. This is to avoid building up all of the dry ingredients on your hands.
- Gently pat the breadcrumbs onto the tomato slices to ensure an even distribution. Once it’s on,place them on your prepared baking sheet.
How to Make Avocado Garlic Aioli
Thick cut oven baked fried green tomatoes like this are absolutely fantastic when enjoyed on their own. But they’re even better when you make this homemade avocado garlic aioli along with them.
- Prepare the ingredients. You’re going to need avocado, Greek yogurt, fresh Basil, minced garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to make the aioli.
- Blend. Using a food processor, blend the ingredients until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Refrigerate. Keep the aioli in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it with your tomatoes.
Green Tomatoes vs. Red Tomatoes — What’s the Difference?
It’s important to understand that there are actually two different kinds of green tomatoes. There are tomatoes that are actually green once fully ripe, and then there are unripe red tomatoes that just look green for the time being.
While this particular recipe calls for using unripe red tomatoes, you can absolutely swap them out for actual green tomatoes if that’s what you’re growing instead.
The main difference between green and red tomatoes lies in their taste and appearance.
Green tomatoes can actually have variations in coloring and sometimes they even have stripes when they’re not yet ripe. Ripe green tomatoes are also an excellent source of potassium, vitamins A and C, and several other important micronutrients that are beneficial for your health.
Red tomatoes also provide quite a few health benefits. At the end of the day, whatever type of tomato that you want to use for this recipe largely comes down to personal preference. Both options work equally well!
More Good Fried Vegetable Recipes:Print
Baked Fried Green Tomatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the baked green tomatoes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ pounds unripe (green) tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- olive oil cooking spay
For the avocado garlic aioli:
- ½ medium avocado
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- To make the avocado garlic aioli, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Season the tomato slices with salt.
- Add the flour and cayenne pepper to a shallow bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the buttermilk to another bowl and set aside.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Coat the tomato slice in flour then dip in buttermilk.
- Repeat this step.
- Then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Repeat this for all the tomato slices, placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spray the tomato slices with olive oil spray.
- Bake in preheated oven (350F) for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with avocado garlic aioli.
Keywords: fried, green tomatoes, baked