Baked Fried Green Tomatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli
- Author: Emma Kelly
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the baked green tomatoes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ pounds unripe (green) tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- olive oil cooking spay
For the avocado garlic aioli:
- ½ medium avocado
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- To make the avocado garlic aioli, add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Season the tomato slices with salt.
- Add the flour and cayenne pepper to a shallow bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the buttermilk to another bowl and set aside.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Coat the tomato slice in flour then dip in buttermilk.
- Repeat this step.
- Then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Repeat this for all the tomato slices, placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spray the tomato slices with olive oil spray.
- Bake in preheated oven (350F) for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with avocado garlic aioli.
Keywords: fried, green tomatoes, baked