Looking to try something new for dessert? Why not check out this recipe for making a cream cheese blueberry babka? It makes an authentic babka bread that includes a mouthwatering homemade blueberry filling.
How to Make Cream Cheese Blueberry Babka
This recipe will help you to make the best homemade cream cheese blueberry babka from scratch:
- Begin preparing the dough. Use the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook to combine the warm milk, 1 teaspoon of sugar and the active dry yeast.
- Wait. Allow the yeast mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the flour mixture. Use a separate bowl to combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Combine the eggs and vanilla. Add the eggs and pure vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the flour mixture. While the mixer is running, slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Beat. Beat on low speed for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter. Gradually add the softened butter and mix for another 4 minutes.
- Grease a bowl. Lightly grease a large bowl with oil.
- Transfer the dough. Transfer the dough into the greased bowl.
- Rise. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour (or until it has doubled in size).
- Begin preparing the blueberry filling. Add the blueberries, lemon juice and sugar to a large pot and stir to combine.
- Boil. Bring the blueberry mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- Simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Set aside. Set the blueberry mixture aside.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. Cream the softened cream cheese and sugar together in a bowl.
- Prepare the loaf pans. Line two 9×5 inch loaf pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Punch the dough. Punch the dough and divide into 2 portions.
- Roll the dough. Roll each portion of dough into 12×16 inch rectangles.
- Add the cream cheese mixture. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture onto each dough rectangle.
- Add the blueberry filling. Spread the blueberry filling in the same manner.
- Roll into logs. Roll up the dough into a long log.
- Cut. Cut the log in half lengthwise.
- Twist. Twist 2 halves around each other to form braided loaf.
- Transfer the loaf. Carefully transfer the loaf to the prepared loaf pan.
- Repeat. Repeat the previous 6 steps with the other dough rectangle.
- Rise. Cover both pans with plastic wrap and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Bake. Bake the blueberry babka in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Cool. Remove the blueberry babka from the oven and allow it to cool completely before serving.
What is a Babka?
Babka is either a sweet bread or cake that’s traditionally served as a dessert. It originated in Jewish communities in Eastern Europe in the early 19th century.
Babka is typically made by spreading a yeast-leavened dough with ingredients like fruit filling, chocolate, cheese or cinnamon and sugar. The babka is then rolled up, braided and baked.
Can I Make Babka Without a Stand Mixer?
It’s definitely possible to make this babka without using a stand mixer. With that being said though, it’s definitely a lot easier to make this recipe with one so it’s recommended to do so if you’ve got one.
Otherwise, you can simply follow the recipe as normally and mix together the ingredients for the dough. Then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands until it reaches your desired consistency.
(Also try: Blueberry Pretzel Salad)Print
Cream Cheese Blueberry Babka (this is so good!)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
For the dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm milk
- 10 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the blueberry filling:
- 3 cups blueberry filling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the cream cheese filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- To make the dough, in a bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook combine the milk, 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl of stand mixer.
- While the mixer is running, add the flour mixture slowly.
- Beat on low speed for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the butter and mix for another 4 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil.
- Transfer the dough into the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- In the meantime, make the blueberry filling.
- Add the blueberries, lemon juice and sugar to a large pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened
- Set aside.
- To make the cream cheese filling, in a bowl cream the cheese and sugar.
- Line two 9×5 inch loaf pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Punch the dough and divide into 2 portions.
- Roll each portion of dough into a 12×16 inch rectangle.
- Spread with half the cream cheese mixture onto dough rectangle.
- Spread half of blueberry filing in the same manner.
- Roll up the dough into a long log.
- Cut the log in half lengthwise.
- Twist 2 halves around each other to form braided loaf.
- Carefully transfer the loaf to the prepared pan.
- Repeat last 6 steps with other dough rectangle.
- Cover the pans with plastic wrap and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.