Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles (Sweet and Tangy)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 pound Kirby cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion, sliced
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl combine the cucumber and salt.
- Cover and chili for 1 ½ hours.
- Rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Toss the cucumbers with onion.
- Add the white vinegar, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the sugar dissolves.
- In a jar pack the cucumber and onion.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers.
- Put the lid on.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 days before eating.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.