This deliciously refreshing homemade blueberry lemon iced tea is perfect for cooling off on a warm day. You’ll be using steeped black tea to make the iced tea, which gives it a more natural flavor that meshes perfectly with blueberry and lemon, and it also offers some pretty great benefits for your health as well.
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Iced Tea
Making your own homemade blueberry iced tea is super easy thanks to this easy to follow recipe:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the frozen blueberries, sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice to either a saucepan or a large pot.
- Boil. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add the water. Add the water and bring it to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Once the water comes to a boil, remove it from the heat.
- Add the tea bags. Add the tea bags and step for 3 minute.
- Discard. Discard the tea bags.
- Strain. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
- Refrigerate. Refrigerate the iced tea for a minimum of one hour.
- Serve. Serve the blueberry lemon iced tea over ice.
3 Health Benefits of Black Tea
Using black tea in this recipe is a great way to make sure that your homemade iced tea is both refreshing and healthy. With that in mind, here are 3 science-backed health benefits that black tea can offer you:
- Good source of antioxidants. Black tea is rich in several polyphenol sources that are known to help protect against disease. Studies have shown that catechins, theaflavins and thearubigans found in black tea can help to protect against cellular damage caused by exposure to harmful free radicals. (1)
- Lowered risk of heart disease. There’s a chance that drinking black tea daily can help to protect against cardiovascular disease. Studies have found that black tea can help to reduce high blood pressure and reduce LDL cholesterol (the ‘bad’ kind of cholesterol). (2)(3)
- May help to balance blood sugar levels. There’s evidence showing that black tea may help to lower your risk of developing diabetes by helping your body to enhance the use of available insulin. This is mainly thanks to a specific catechin called epigallocatechin gallate. (4)
More Good Blueberry Lemon Tea Recipes
How to Steep Black Tea
Making a perfect cup of black tea can take a bit of practice. Here’s our go to method for steeping black tea to help you shorten the learning curve:
- Boil the water. You’ll first need to boil the water until it reaches an approximate temperature of 212℉. Aim to use filtered or spring water for a better overall flavor.
- Add the tea leaves. You can either brew your black tea in a larger amount in a teapot or just make an individual serving with a teacup. Whatever you decide on, add the tea bag(s) and pour the boiling water over top.
- Steep. Allow the tea to steep for 3 to 5 minutes (individual taste preference will come into play here).
- Serve. After 3 to 5 minutes have elapsed, remove the tea bags and serve the black tea.
(View more: Tea Drinks)Print
Homemade Blueberry Lemon Iced Tea (Made with Black Tea)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 16 oz frozen blueberries
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 3 bags black tea
- ¾ cup sugar
- In a saucepan or large pot add the frozen blueberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring it to boil.
- Once the water comes to a boil, remove from the heat.
- Add the tea bags and step for 3 minutes.
- Discard the tea bags.
- Strain the mixture through fine mesh sieve.
- Refrigerate for minimum one hour.
- Serve over ice.