Smoothies can be a great way to load up on essential nutrients before tackling an intense workout. With that in mind, check out this recipe for making the best pre-workout blueberry banana smoothie. It’s loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, healthy fats and more.
How to Make a Blueberry Banana Smoothie
You can have this nutrient-dense blueberry banana smoothie ready to go in less than 5 minutes; making it a perfect choice for whipping up quickly prior to your workout:
- Blend. Add either fresh or frozen blueberries, banana slices, plain Greek yogurt, organic raw honey, chia seeds and crushed ice to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve. Serve the blueberry banana smoothie immediately.
3 Health Benefits of a Blueberry Banana Smoothie
This blueberry banana smoothie is absolutely packed with nutrients that offer some great benefits for your health. With that in mind, here are 3 proven health benefits that you can gain by drinking this smoothie:
- Excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids. This smoothie is a fantastic source the essential fatty acid omega-3, thanks to the chia seeds, Omega-3 fatty acids provide a wide range of health benefits. Studies have found that omega-3 fats may play a significant role in helping to lower your risk of developing heart disease. (1)
- Loaded with dietary fiber. The chia seeds don’t just provide you with quality fats; they’re also an excellent source of dietary fiber as well. In addition, the blueberries and banana are also great fiber sources. This is great because fiber is responsible for everything from helping with regulating bowel movements to even lowering your risk of developing certain types of cancers. (2)
- Rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants. Blueberries and chia seeds are both loaded with essential vitamins, minerals and disease-fighting antioxidants. These essential nutrients help to protect you from disease by scavenging harmful free radicals from the body. (3)
How Long Do Smoothies Stay Fresh in the Refrigerator?
Fresh smoothie recipes like this pre-workout blueberry banana smoothie recipe are honestly best enjoyed immediately. However, you can still keep them stored in the fridge for up to 1 to 2 days if needed; it’s not recommended to keep them any longer than that though as oxidation will cause the fruit in the smoothie to begin to spoil.
(Also try: Blueberry Pudding Cake)Print
Pre-workout Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ large banana, sliced
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp organic raw honey
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup crushed ice
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.