Rustic (and Easy) Baked Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into ½ -inch slices
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- 1 jar (28 ounces) marinara sauce
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the eggs and pinch of salt to bowl and beat lightly.
- Add the panko bread crumbs, dried basil and garlic powder to another bowl and mix to combine.
- Dip the eggplant slices in eggs then coat in panko bread crumbs.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spray with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Pour a ¼ of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 7×11 inch baking dish.
- Layer with a third of the eggplant, a quarter of the marinara sauce, a third of the mozzarella and a third of the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle with extra grated Parmesan (if using) and fresh basil leaves and serve.